Monday, May 11, 2009

Shoes are to Women as _____ is to Men.

Did you read my last blog? It was fascinating. If you read it, you know the answer.

Pie, baby.

Make your man a homemade pie. He will feel so loved. Let him see you with flour on your face and apron. Let him see that you have used a rolling pin. Serve it to him with vanilla ice cream. You will have earned yourself a pair of shoes. Trust me.
Mama's little helper.

Don't be afraid. (I'm not talking to you, Emily.) I consider myself an Amelia Bedelia: Can't quite get most of this home-making stuff down. But put "Make Pie" on my to do list, and you'll be glad I'm around. If I can, you can.

And now, my two favorite pie recipes:

Georgia Peach Pie
This recipe was given to me by my friend Trista. She has always been a natural in the kitchen (we're talking making family meals at age 14). She took pity on my plight of being kitchen-stupid, and taught me to make this pie while we were in high school.

10 inch double crust (I use the crust recipe at my cousin Emily's recipe blog)
(also, she has many delicious-looking, fancier-than-mine pie recipes. I'm scared to try them, in spite of the claim I just made about being able to make pies.)

Filling:
1 can (29 0z) yellow cling peaches in heavy syrup
3 tablespoons reserve peach syrup
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup sugar, divided
3 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk (1 capful of lemon juice or vinegar and then fill the rest with milk until it equals 1/3 cup. Mix and let sit for about 10 minutes).
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Glaze
2 tablespoons melted butter
Sugar

1. Make crust, put one crust into the bottom of the pie plate but do not bake. Preheat: 400.

2. Filling: drain peaches, reserving 3 tablespoons syrup. Set aside. Cut peaches into small pieces. Place in large bowl. Combine cornstarch and 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar. Add 3 tablespoons reserved peach syrup. Add remaining sugar, eggs and buttermilk. Mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup melted butter and vanilla. Pour over peaches. Stir until peaches are coated. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust. Moisten pastry edge with water.

3. Cover pie with top crust. Cut slits or designs into top crust to allow steam to escape.

4. For glaze, brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

I got this one from Allrecipes. I love that site. If apple pie doesn’t appeal to you because of the gelatinous cinnamon glaze, this recipe is worth a shot. A unique sauce bakes with the apples and carmelizes the crust…trust me, it’s good. I read a review that suggested adding a couple of tsp.s cinnamon to the apples, not the sauce, and I thought that was good, too.

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (again, visit Emily)

1/2 cup unsalted butter

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup water

8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

1. Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.


Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce the temp to 350 and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.


Make one for your husband. Then go out an buy yourself a new pair of shoes and see if he complains. I dare you.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Unfortunately, pie doesn't do it for my husband. But it does it for me, so maybe I'll make a pie (my favorite is upside down caramel apple), eat it, and THEN go buy myself shoes. Best of all worlds.

Edda Phillips said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE Grandma Ople's apple pie recipe!! I tried it for Pie day in march (yes, major nerd alert) and I loved it. I am glad you know the joys Grandma Ople brings to all now.

And thank you for the peach pie recipe!! I am gluing both of them into my recipe book for sure.

Oh, and LOVE the shoes by the way. I dropped a hint to Rex about how cool it was that Spencer got you shoes to make you feel better... don't know if he got it or not, but we'll see. ;)

Nortorious said...

I've been reading your blog religiously, but bad at commenting. Happy mother's day to you too.
And your right. Pie is the way to all men's hearts.
How is Campbell sleeping?

Marianne said...

Joel has been working very hard with school and work, so maybe I should make him a pie. For the peach pie, would it work to use home canned peaches?

By the way, thanks for your comment on my blog. To answer your question, I have looked into Joyschool. In fact, my mom did it with me. I'm not sure if I'll do it because we're probably moving this summer and I don't know where to yet, so I don't know if I'll know any moms to do it with. Do you know if it would work if I did it by myself or would that be too stressful?

Also, I loved your post about shoes. I love shoes too, but I think I've suppressed it a lot since getting married because Joel teases me so much about my shoes. I don't buy them very often and have given away quite a few of old favorites (some I still just can't get rid of yet). Now that I have a daughter, though, my love of shoes is returning to the surface, and I already see her shoe fetish developing. It must be instinctual.