Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On Potty-training and Spiritual Matters

Cadence is finally potty-trained. Things aren't perfect, but I know she's completely on the bandwagon for using the toilet. She was for it and then against it, especially numero two, but I told her that Belle (princess) likes to use the potty because she thinks it's fun. Since then, she's been loving it. Also, she's a pretty spiritual gal. Here are a few snippets of conversations we've had lately (warning: naturally, some potty talk follows):

In the bathroom:
C: Mom, what happens if I go pee pee on the floor?
M: It makes a mess and you don't get to pick a prize for going in the potty all day.
C: Mom, Belle (the princess) doesn't like to go potty on the floor. She likes going in the potty. She thinks it's fun!!
M: Yep.
C: Mom, what color is Belle's poo poo?
M: What do you think?
C: Pink. I think it's pink poo poo.
M: Yeah, probably. And sparkly, too.
C: No, no sparkles.

Man, princesses are so cool.

Later, while reading a little board book called "My Tiny Book of Prayer":

(Looking at a page depicting a Heavenly hand holding a child's hand)
C: Mom, is that Heavenly Father's Hand?
M: Yep.
C: And is that my hand?
M: Mmmmhmmmm.
C: Oh! That's so nice of Heavenly Father to hold my hand!! Is He cold?
M: No, He's very warm.
C: Is His hand cold?
M: No, it's very warm.
C: Oh, that's so nice.
The next page depicts a girl folding hands and staring into the distance.
C: Mom, what is she looking at?
M: Heaven, I guess.
C: Oh, Heaven is wonderful. Do we live in Heaven?
M: No, we live in Chicago. We will live in Heaven someday.
C: Oh. Mom, do you have a 'No Way'? (This is completely off the topic and a "no way" refers to a body part that I do not have. I'm not going to go into details as to how it came to be called in such a way.)
M: We don't talk about those things unless we're in the bathroom. It's not nice to talk about.
C: Oh, it's rude.
M: Yes.
C: Mom, say, "It's rude".
M: It's rude.
C: Rude is not nice. It's not nice it's rude it's not nice it's rude rude rude I like the word rude....trails off about the topic of rude.

My day is full of these funny little conversations. Yesterday she walked up to Trevor and said, "Soon I'll become a BOY!" and at lunch a couple of days ago she looked out the window longingly and said, "Mom, I'm dying now." She has no idea what that means.

There is just nothing like being able to see so clearly into the mind of a two-year-old.

13 comments:

John and SJ said...

I can't believe cadence really is talking! It has been too long since we have seen you guys! She is so cute!

Nortorious said...

Mardee, I'm dying now.
I am so glad you're recording her 'isms. They are riotous.
My next baby will have pink sparkly poo poo, I hope.

Britt said...

i love her!

Sara B said...

My Aunt Becky (my dad's sister) was the only girl in their family. She wondered when she was going to "grow one" My grandpa told her that she already broke hers off :) It's funny to watch kids discover that stuff.

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

I can totally picture this conversation taking place.. And it makes me smile :)

The United Statements of Merica said...

Oh, I miss her! She cracks me up. give her a big hug from me!

Andrea said...

Write, write, write! That's the best advice for this age. Write everything they say down. Cause you THINK you'll remember (because HOW could you forget such hilarity), but you don't (because every moment is filled with something funnier than the last). It makes me so sad to think of all the things I forgot to jot down before I forgot. Luckily, I get to come on over here to your blog to cheer my aching, forgetful heart.

Okay, that was a little dramatic.

Ames said...

what a crack up. she is quite a conversationalist.

Cabra Forte said...

Mimi and I sat here and cracked up over and over as we read this one. It just made me that much more excited that we get to see you guys tomorrow!

chickadee3357 said...

I love it! She says some funny things!

Unknown said...

She is something else : P I love the sparkly poop.

Amie Orton said...

mardee I'll have devin text you this later when he gets home, just in case you don't read comments often. But our email is devinandamie@gmail.com

I don't think I have yours anymore. We of course wouldn't mind you passing our info along to your friend. :)

Brandon and Erica said...

Well, I hope this comment doesn't freak you out...but I saw your name on SaraJane's blog and became curious if it was the "Mardee" that I have heard so much about from the Wilkinsons :-). I told Brandon that I found your blog, and he confirmed that he didn't think I would be a weird stalker if I commented on your blog.

Brandon has always said that he thinks we would have been really good friends (well, of course..he has good taste in women :), and so I thought I might as well become your e-friend. Here's to hoping this doesn't freak you out!

I met your family in the temple, very randomly...but they were taking your little sister through for her first time. So, naturally...I feel like you and I should be friends :).

Your little family is adorable! How funny that you know SaraJane. I LOVE HER. So, we obviously both have good taste in friends too!