Monday, February 21, 2011

Nothing Says "I Love You" Like...

...Spread sheets. Especially an entire presentation in charts and graphs; are you swooning yet?

In the spirit of being original (and frugal, which Spencer has no trouble with), I told Spencer that all I wanted for this Valentine's was a homemade card/heartfelt letter. I made Spencer a cheesy scrapbook-y thing with an even cheesier poem glued sideways on the back (it's hard to get things right when you are simultaneously trying to keep the kids from dumping out all the contents of every box of crackers in the house.)

Anyway, so my gift was cheesy. But heartfelt. And this is what that ol' hopeless romantic of a husband I've got made for me:


Yes, he handmade the envelope.

Inside the envelope:

Inside the analysis:


Oh, you want to see the graphs and charts close-up? Here are a few:


This next one is neither a joke about my weight nor his hair, lest some of us be confused (DAN):



I'm not sure what else to say about it, it's really a treasure. He was so pleased with his work that he took it to work the next day. I was so pleased with it that I've worn make up every day since then.

He may be a business geek, but he's MINE. And his love-language may be Excel, but I'll take it :) (besides, the charts and graphs make it easy to understand and visualize, am I right?)


Here are some other V-day pics from the Clive Res. :


A card that Cadence got from a friend. I've never seen a more appropriate card. Bedtime was by definition a "fiasco" that night. Sooooooooooooooooo hyper. Hyper. Remember when that used to be a buzz word? It was like the "random" of the 90s. Am I right?

I caught Layla taking advantage of my distraction with her hyper sisters. I carefully kept most chocolates and sweets out of her reach. But didn't bother with sharp objects. Oh, and then I took pictures instead of freaking out and grabbing them. I'm so good at my job.


Mamaw Clive sent a Valentine's box with some serious goodness, including a new dress and skirt for the girls. They were over-the-top excited.

I tried to get a picture of the girls in their romantic tu-tu's, but again, HY PER!, so I said after a few tries, trying to communicate to Cadence that it was unnecessary to put Layla in a headlock, "I give up, let's quit." "But MOM! Clive's don't EVER give up!!" Eh. Did you know i"m only half-clive? So I had to pretend to get a good one before I was "done".

I was quite pleased with myself for this little number:



lot's of paper and stickers and glue and Cadence being in "manager mode" (wherein she shouts orders and directions in a very confident and superior way. Her managerial style is one with high standards).

12 comments:

Mimi said...

Oh man. This post made me miss you guys a lot! Especially the scissors in Layla's mouth. And the girls in their precious little tutus. And the really nerdy Spencer charts. And the "work horse" part of the puzzle. I'm glad you all had a good V-day. Tell those girls to stop growing up without me!

Amie Orton said...

So so great. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. What a great valentine's day. Someday we'll see you again right? Orton family reunion this summer? yes, no?

chickadee3357 said...

I throughly enjoy the charts and graphs. Steve and I went on "meetings" (according to him) when we first started seeing each other (I can't call it dating because that would make it more serious than it was, he just liked to lie to himself.) We joked that at the meeting we would have a chart illustrating the increase in fun since starting are meetings.

Amy and Mark said...

I always look forward to your posts.......obviously. Laughing my guts out right now.

Kate said...

That was probably one of the best valentines I've ever seen! Bravo.
Your cute girls are growing so fast.

E B said...

I laughed so hard, I miss you guys!

Alex said...

Tell Spencer to stop making the rest of us look bad.

The United Statements of Merica said...

hahaha. Spencer ROCKS!! That's the coolest thing I've ever seen. You made valentines day look fun.. maybe I should put a little more effort into next year. I love the heart hairdo.
xoxo

Kali said...

bahahahahah that is seriously a great card!! I can always count on your posts to make me glad I clicked on your blog!:)

Nortorious said...

This rocks my world. It's so Spencer and so romantic all at the same time. Love it.

eryn said...

I love that he went to all this effort. So creative! Man, to think of all of this is amazing.

Burrows: places of retreat; shelter or refuge. said...

Love Spencer! Love you! Love those cute girls of yours especially in their tutus! Man, I'm sad thinking about the month 'o love ending. I love love...