Monday, November 10, 2008

Are You A Safety Kid, Too?

I've been doing some research on this big ol' world-wide-web in preparation for Christmas (and by the way, this is about six weeks early, for me, to be thinking about what anybody besides myself wants for Christmas), and have found myself in a trance of nostalgia, wherein I cannot decide where to unload all my ever-flowing (or not) cash.

Safety Kids? Standin' Tall? Scripture Scouts?

$50 for the series

Go for a natural high (HIGH! HIGH! HIGH!) When you are feeling down low.... Apparently they have added a new portion about the dangers of the "information super-highway"! I can't wait to hear the new songs about not chatting with creepy old men pretending to be your age.

$179.95 for a series of 12 virtues (includes the CDs, coloring books, activity books, and a cute red cd case)

"Who broke my window?" (little girl chimes in), "Telling the truth isn't going to be easy..."
"Who broke my window?" (again, the girl:) "Why is my stomach all nervous and queasy?
This was one of the many songs from this series that I've basically had stuck in my head my WHOLE life. I love this whole series. There's a book/tape (I guess CD now) called "Happiness" about a princess who has a toy box that will give her anything she wishes for instantly, but somehow she is still unhappy. One day she decides to give her toys away to the other kids in her kingdom and she's finally happy. Oh, it's genius. I can still remember the colors I used to color those pages (an amazingly bright hot pink, for one.)

$15-$16 each, one for each book (of Mormon, Old and New Testaments, plus Articles of Faith)

Oh, these are clever. Really fun to listen to and a great way for parents to get their kids to think more about the stories of the Book of Mormon. And might I add that to me, it doesn't seem like it's made by a bunch of Ned Flanders-types, either. You know what I mean, right? I'm just saying there are a lot of childrens Bible things that are a little much for me. Anyway, this hilarious talking dog and his friends have a little club and when they start talking about the scripture stories they become part of them, and sing really cute songs, etc. I just saw that they've done one recently for the Proclamation of the Family. That one sounds like it's worth the investment, as I sit and watch what's going on in CA.

So I want to know how many of you know what each of these are and if the rest of you are helplessly committed to reliving your formative years under the happy influence of the 'Kapp Perry's, Janeen Brady, and the likes. I wish I could just get them all. Now.

Oh, and btw, let's not even get started with Joy School, which is really expensive and, as it turns out, takes more than minimal effort on my part...I'll have to think longer and harder about that one.

11 comments:

Mikalyn said...

just so you know i was singing all the songs before i saw you wrote the words to them, i sang rameumptom, the cleanliness song about fingernails, and saying, "oh king daddy" and the go for a natural high song and then i saw the lyrics and laughed. mom and dad say hi too

Cabra Forte said...

Waaaaaaaaaaake up!

Come Alive!

Scriptures are fun when you open your eyes!

Come and listen as we recall the most wonderful stoooory of aaaaalll!

Oh yeah. My siblings and I still sing them when we're together.

Catherine said...

So I hadn't heard of the Scripture Stories, but I've already started my Safety Kids and Brite music collection. My favorite Standing Tall cassette was Courage. Did you have the badge where you could glue jewels on whenever you were particularly brave?

Sara B said...

I loved the safety kids and the standing tall books. I loved listening to them as a kid. I think that's how I learned my phone number. All I know about the Scripture ones are from being at your house and listening about the rameuptom

tracie said...

Wow, the Safety Kids. I remember my elementary school put on a skit and I had a major crush on Freddie. Brings back good memories.

Elise said...

"Sometimes you just gotta yell and scream...sometimes it's the only thing to do! Noisy as a fire truck, you just gotta open up and get the crowd's attention turned to you!"

"Keep your undies clean. They're right next to ya. Change them every day. That oughtta do ya!"

"If I had power, power, power, I would waste no time! Everything I wanted would be mine, mine, mine!"

As you can see, I love them all.

Mimi said...

Scripture Scouts?! That's a Snow family classic! Matt has been dying to educate me on them.

Oh... I guess you knew that because he already commented. :)

sharon said...

I reamember joy school, what a trip and I loved the standing tall series wasnt there like a little elve or something in those stories?

Nortorious said...

Ooh! I want them too!
Nothing like a little permanent brainwashing. Sign me up!

Unknown said...

Never heard of any of them? Is it a mormon thing? I guess that is why I am out of the loop on many things (pertaining to childhood).

Unknown said...

Woof! What kind things to say! And from grown-ups! Humans! Grrr-oof!
-Boo Dog