Friday, February 5, 2010

Ballet, Big Words, Smiles and New Dehli

Everybody's got something to crow about around here, except me, but I'm town cryer, I don't have to have my own stuff to talk about.

Cadence:  Started her first Ballet class last week.
 It's actually called "Creative Movement", which is pre Pre-Ballet.  I thought my little spit-fire would jump right in there and rule the roost.  Didn't you?  Since it was the first week of the semester, the parents were allowed to stay in the dance room and watch.  I thought this would help her get warmed up.  She felt like she was on display and became very self-conscious.  Miss Aimee, the teacher, came and pryed her away from me, playfully brought her to the dance floor where the children were supposed to be sitting in a circle, and tried to sit her down with the class.  Cadence was frozen STIFF.  Not exaggerating.  Her toes were pointed, knees locked, arms straight at about a 30 degree angle from her body.  As Miss Aimee tried to move her down to the floor her legs just sort of spread...I hope you are imagining this as I paint the picture because it was hilarious.  The same thing happened when it was time to get UP off the floor and dance.  Miss Aimee tried to lift her to stand but when she put Cadence's weight on her feet they just slid out from under her as everything was locked up.  She spent the rest of the class clinging to me near the wall.  And then when the others cleared the room afterwards she took to the dance floor and started cavorting her pelvis in her typical fashion.

Campbell is learning words at a much quicker pace these days, which is fun.  She still has her base words, the building blocks she uses for each new word, "quack", "ish", "bub", and "bap".  But her new favorite words are "backpack" ("Bap Bapck!") and "map" (Bap!).  Can you guess which little latina they've been watching an awful lot of?  Campbell has also taken to dress ups lately.  I love it.  And she gets REALLy REALLY excited when the camera comes out.

Layla has been smiling for a few weeks now.  I love those big, innocent, sincere baby smiles.  Her eyes are turning blue, her ears are still a little furry, and she is officially sweeter than pie.  We kinda likes her.  Remember when I was scared out of my wits to be expecting her?  We're pretty glad that all happened.

Oh, and the other day, Cam and Layla both had well-child checks.  Campbell is EXACTLY 2x the poundage of Layla. 12 lbs 2 oz and 24 lbs 4 oz.
+
=


Spencer is en route to India as we speak!  How crazy is this:  a few weeks ago he comes home with that look on his face that looks like he just found out that it's not snowing, but actually marshmallows are falling from the sky.  He has received an email that says that a business school in India is hosting a Marketing Challenge game show which is to be hosted by none other than Shahruk Kahn!  What, don't tell me you don't know who that is?!? 

Only the biggest Bollywood star!  Yup, we've enjoyed several of his movies over the years.  Anyway, so the email says that they are looking for a two person team to represent the school.  Blah blah blah, (my mature way of saying, "to make a long story short") anyway, because he is AWESOME he was chosen and today he is on his way.  Yes, he could win money.  How many Rupees, you ask?  I don't actually know.  It had better be like a million.  The whole thing is shadier than you'd think.  He didn't even know when the flight was scheduled until a few days ago, he doesn't know where he's staying, etc.  But he does know that he gets to see the Taj Mahal and a few other cool things. 
I'm SOOO excited for him, but I already really miss him.  I'm used to him being away but India is pretty dang far.  Look for a follow up about this trip.

(and don't worry your pretty little heads about me, my mom is coming tomorrow!  Bless her soul, and that of Spencer's mom, too, who used her Frequent Flyer points to help get my mom out here.  Love those moms.)

8 comments:

Nortorious said...

The tub sayz bunz. Your posts make me laugh because you say funny things like "town cryer".
Will call this week.

sharon said...

Awesome that the hubby got choosen for the cool oportunity sad your missing him totally know how it feels to have a smart husband who's always gone. Beautiful girls you have :)

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

I'm so glad your mom is coming!! What channel is this show going to be on? Not that we even get any channels.. You are the best Mom. PS.. Our favorite boy name right now is Luke--how fun will that be when Luke and Layla are best friends in Provo going to BYU :)

Andrea said...

Good luck! To all of you. And what a sweet mom you have!

E B said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you're having help come. I was going to ask you about that. I would NEVER have guessed Cadence COULD freeze up! My dad used to go to India pretty regularly - it is far and long. But cool! t least it is if you've got an iron stomach - I hope Spencer does or he'll come home pretty miserable.

Mimi said...

Hooray for everyone! I love all those details about Cadence freezing up! She'll come around. She was born to dance! I can't wait for Cam to teach Josh how to play dress-up. Those girls could have a LOT of fun with their little boy cousin! And Layla...so precious!

I hope Spencer has the time of his life in India! What a dream come true! And you enjoy that time with your mama. How lucky are YOU to have one big girl party for a whole week?!

Spencer said...

Love it! I've been having a great time in India, but I've really missed my girls (you included). This post is exactly what I needed.

Love you!

John and SJ said...

Your life continues to amaze me :) Sounds pretty sweet to me! Hope Spencer has fun!!!