
Disorganized, un-edited rant and rave:
Tonight my sister mentioned to me that during Oprah's anti-Prop 8 segment, she said that "Marriage is out-dated and a failed institution". I tried to find it online but couldn't--all the you-tube videos had been taken down because of a copyright infringement, and it's not on her website. I did, however, find many, many disturbing things as I researched Oprah. Disturbing because she wields so much power.
All I will say is that the more I read about her, the more I thought of the great and spacious building and the great and O-bominable church (not a rip on Obama, but on how she has taken upon herself to be a spiritual leader).
It's just that she has slighted about everything that I stand for in my life. Everything that I believe is pure. The sanctity of marriage has been etched at by her before. Did you know that in 2007 she did a show on sex that not only endorsed casual, friends-with-benefit sex, it encouraged the use of pornography and suggested that an "open marriage" (as in adultery) might be right for some couples?!? Considering how much pull she has (did you know that being put on her book-club list generally means an extra MILLION copies for the publisher?), I'm gonna say that she's evil.
My sister's response to that bash on marriage was that it was completely irresponsible and that it's easy to say that when you don't have children.
My response to all her self-aggrandizing "I know how hard it is to be a woman" free-love bull-$%#$@#% is to write about how miffed I am. I'll come up with something better later.
What do you think of this?
17 comments:
Way to go! I agree! I think she wields way to much persuasive power...which shows two things: (1) How easily manipulated the nations women are (sadly) and (2) that she should take it more seriously or maybe she does and just likes to push her own agenda (which I would say is the latter). The #1 voter for No on Prop 8 was white women.
I completely agree with you. I did not like how much power she had during the election or anything she thinks she is in charge of but isn't. Richard, being the nice person in our marriage, always tries to remind me of the good things she does for people. I remind him that her name is attached to all of the nice things, so all of her nice points should be cut in half. I don't think she is a good example of anything. And, with the whole Prop 8 thing and everything else political, I think celebrities should keep their opinions to themselves.
I had no idea. Thanks for enlightening me. I wasn't a fan in the first place, but now I can at least say that I seriously dislike her opinions.
And yet a gain I have to say "I love you girl". Mardee, seriously all your posts make me love and respect YOU all the more. What an amazing woman!
That's a shame. Really. People are so easily influenced by those kinds of things. Sad.
She has been dead to me, too, for years. I can barely stand to look at her. It is too bad the general public has allowed her to have so much sway.
Though, if I ever publish a book, I do hope to get on her good side. :)
I am in complete agreement with you. I've actually thought Oprah was a waste of time for a while now. What you wrote completely confirms my thoughts.
I've never liked Oprah, and I think it's dangerous how many people take what she says as truth. I feel the same way about cable news...people turn it on and think that everything on TV is fact. As a nation, we need to get over our knee-jerk reactions and our groupthink. Being in DC and getting ready for the Inauguration, I'm kind of sick of a lot of things. But people not thinking for themselves and being easily persuaded by those with power are just ridiculous to me.
KAP's husband...I love to hear that others are looking at Oprah and see how really jacked up her life and views are. I have been a preacher of this for years now. I do have to say she has accomplished a lot as a black woman, but it has been at a great cost to America for years. Oh and on how much money she donates, it is still half the percentage I donate and I haven't seen my name in any newpaper.
Oh Mardee, I love this post. I know we discussed the whole Oprah thing today, but truly, truly you are right on. Her influence is dangerous and is a false representation of fulfillment and joy.
Hi Mardee! I'm sad to say that Oprah gets watched at my house once every other month or so, but thanks to your enlightening post, she just got a boot to the head. Yikes! I think you're probably right. She is a powerful, powerful woman and there's no doubt that she does SOME good in the world (charity) but I wonder how much harm she does comparitively.
I think for a LONG time Oprah's show was very good. I don't know when it turned bad, but it has. To me it's just another example of the way the world is turning, and a reminder not to be too attached to anything or anyone but the rock of Christ.
If we are attached and can't let go, then we slowly go down with them. So goodbye Oprah - we can't go down that path.
this was a good post . I love your blog. thanks for the enlighten ment, if you don't mind i might make a link to it on my blog. we'll see. i've done this cycle thing with oprah, where she totally offends me and i swear off her show and then a couple years later i start watching again.. well anyway i love your blog especially the last post with cadence's things. and your florida trip i am so envious of ... ah the warm and sunshine and happy family. mardee you are the cutest. so i think i need to call you soon. i have some things to ask ya.
Oprah is no longer the wonderful woman I thought she was. Check out my blog and I´ll post the youtube videos that burned me!
Take the woman down! You could totally oust her. Chicago's your town now.
after hearing that, Oprah is dead to me too! Steve never liked it when I occasionally watched her show, but she will be replaced by The Food Network channel in my home.
Who made her cool,anyway?! I miss you, Mardee! Come back to WC and visit us. I love catching up with you on your blog and looking at your darling family. I finally joined the blog world...I know, I am just a little slow!
Amen. It makes me sick knowing how much influence she has over so many. Satan is sneaky.
Post a Comment