Cadence started preschool today! She was really excited about it, of course. Spencer stayed home with the babies for a few minutes while I went and got her all settled in. Her preschool is in the back of a gymnastics center and so she was really excited to see all the equipment and especially the "pit". She got busy playing and soon was happy to say goodbye to me.
When I picked her up 3 hours later, I eagerly asked the broad, open-ended questions, "So, tell me--how was preschool!?!"
Her response was sharp and full of disdain, "We didn't learn anything."
"Nothing?"
"We didn't play with anything.""
"hmmmm..."
"We didn't have gummy worms for snacks, we didn't have stories, and we didn't do gymnastics."
"Uh, ok, what did you do?"
"We didn't do anything."
"Did you make any new friends?"
"Yes," (Yay, I thought to myself, finally a positive answer!) "But I don't remember their names."
I tried and tried to get information out of her. This is what I eventually got:
"I did go potty at school... a lot."
"I did jump in the pit. But then the teacher told me to get out."
I found a handout the teacher had sent home with a poem about the "kissing hand", about how the parent kisses the kids palm and then the kid can put that hand over her heart whenever she misses the parent at school, and lo-n-behold, she had a little red heart drawn on her hand. This was something that she loved and talked about frequently the rest of the day, and redrew and redrew and redrew the heart on her palm, all day.
And way, way later, she told Daddy that she loved the game where they got to hit the balloons up in the air.
So, I have no idea what actually went on in school today. Is this what every day is like for a parent of a school child? Maybe a teenager...
In anycase, she looked so cute, but I didn't get pictures of her because we were in a big rush. She was adorably excited and a little nervous, and she adapted quite well. This much I do know. And she is excited to go back on Friday, in spite of all the things she claims they didn't do.
5 comments:
I can't believe she is in preschool. That is so funny... She has found her independence, Mard! She doesn't have to tell you anything. I bet those gummy worms that they didn't have for snacks would not be yummy anyway. :)
poor kid probably walked into the room of wonder and had her expectations set. Compared to the amazing things she imagined, they probably DID do nothing:) I struggle to get lauren to open up about her day.. sometimes I think her personality is more like McKay's but I expect it to be like mine.
Congratulations. I'm so excited for her (and you) .. and me! Reese starts on monday.
At least she didn't come home and use the word, "BORING". Now that would be the worst.
lol, this brings back memories. McKinley totally did the same thing to me, the ONLY way I knew what he did in school was by watching how he played. He'd ALWAYS reenact the days activities, sometimes even down to pretending to be the teacher (because he loved his teacher and the excitement she brought to the class). Watch her play, then let me know if it gives you any clues.
I read this out loud to my room mate (finally, some English in here!) and she laughed SO HARD. I love Cadence. I love you.
Post a Comment