Saturday, May 1, 2010

Do You Ever Just Decide To Buy A Home

before you even know where you are going to have a job and also that it must be in the next two weeks?  My husband does.

But first a little background (hold on, it's a bumpy ride):  Remember when I shared the happy news that Spencer had accepted the job with Walmart in Bentonville?  Well, our peace of mind that comes from knowing what lies ahead was short lived:  when Wmart ran his background check they found a misdeamenor from his crazy days as a freshman at BYU (marshmallows+giant slingshot+back of Adam B's truck="oh, hello, officer").  Spencer had reason to believe that this had been removed from his record and so on the app for employment checked the box saying he had no criminal background. 
And so we have a classic case of "falsifying criminal history", which is unquestionably grounds for rescinding an offer of employment.   Fortunately the people who were in contact with Spencer believed him that he honestly thought it was off his record and said that he could still have his job but he had to be off of their records for 60 days and then reapply.  This meant that for two months we had nothing in writing guaranteeing us a future.  And so Spencer did what any breadwinner, if not commitment-fearing opportunist, would do: kept applying/interviewing for other jobs.

A couple of weeks ago this all came to a head when he was waiting to hear back from Sprint after a final round interview at their HQ in KS.  While we were wondering what our future holds for us, Spencer realized that the first-time home-buyer's tax credit was not going to get extended and that we only had two weeks until April, and the tax credit, came to an end.

We started scrambling to find care for the two older girls while we went on a house-hunting trip, still not even sure what to tell people when they asked where we were going.  We finally settled on child-care options that worked and that we felt very comfortable with.  It was really hard to leave Cadence adn Campbell, but I had absolutely no fear that they wouldn't be cared for very well or kept safe or healthy.  I just missed them.  Cadence stayed with Eryn and her family, which was endless fun for her.  Apparently she taught little Lyvien some new ways to tick-off her mom--sorry Eryn :), and she came home with better manners.  Cam stayed with Matt and Mimi, and she and Josh also taught eachother some new tricks.  It's funny, she acts like Josh when she gets excited now.  Good thing I've always loved it when Joshy gets excited.  Anyway, may the world know right here and right now that Eryn and Scott and Matt and Mimi took on this huge task with only 5 days notice, with complete willingness and not even a hint of annoyance at how little was actually known as far as plans.

So Sunday we finalized plans for Cadence and Campbell.  Then Monday we were supposed to hear back from Sprint.  Then Wednesday we actually heard back from Sprint--it was a no-go.  I was so happy to have a plan that I didn't even care WHERE we were going!  And then on Friday Walmart told us that they couldn't buy us tickets to Bentonville yet since he wasn't employed yet on paper (although they had told him otherwise earlier).  So Friday afternoon Spencer decided we were going to drive, and we took the kids to LPF (dinner at the business school), left them with friends, and started the drive.

The story is even longer than that, but I'm going to cut to the chase--we got one!  We love it.  It just felt right.  Even now, I think about some of the things that aren't ideal (the kitchen being one) but I just still feel like it is the perfect space for our family.  Here are some pictures.  If you saw it before, we updated the winter pictures that were previously here:


entryway:
office:
the living room needs a total makeover--any suggestions?  That big oak thing next to the fireplace is an outdated TV hutch.  It would make a nice computer desk for the kids, though, I think.  But it does throw off the balance of the room.
Formal dining:
Master Bedroom
Master Bath:
Seriously awesome playroom:
The back (in winter).  There is a small garden that we've already got plans to extend.  I love my garden!!!!!  sorry.  I'm excited.
 Backyard with garden:
Side yard:
And there you have it.  And now you want to move to Arkansas, too, right?  Now that you see how far your money can go?  Oh yeah---that's right.  Come on down!  Always room for more here in Arkansas!
Oh yeah, wanna see our back-up option in case this one didn't work out?  We could have gotten this one for less than what we are paying for our place:
You think I'm joking, don't you?  Serious as a heart attack.  It's beautiful but not perfect for our fam like the other one is.

12 comments:

sharon said...

wow I totally want to move to Arkansas and there is even an Airforce Base there so who knows maybe I'll get lucky :) have fun and enjoy your new home and garden!!

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

Ok, fine :) We'll buy the other one.. I PROMISE I'll call you back. I'm so lame. I'm still trying to remember what that keychain said :) HOORAY for beautiful new homes and a PLAN! I'm totally jealous, but TOTALLY thrilled for you! We love you guys!

BrieAnn said...

Oh, a garden! The playroom is amazing. I think it will be so fun to make that home your own. My suggestion for the oak cabinet...I love built-ins, but I agree this one is awkward. I don't know how deep it is, but I think it would be cool if the doors were shorter (think counter/desk height from the floor), and the panel trim was more of a shaker style. The top shelves could be exposed for books and knickknacks and the bottom could be closed off with computer/electronic stuff. I would paint it white, and I wasn't sure about that at first because of the oak mantel, but it matches the rest of the trim, and it might help make it look more symmetrical because the fireplace will pop between that and the window.

Mimi said...

Holy moly! I had already seen pictures of your house (which is totally awesome and I'm extremely jealous and excited for you to start REAL life), but the fancy castle house?? For less than the other? That's crazy! I really thought you were joking. Your home is beautiful! And it seems just perfect for your family. So glad you found it so fast!

The United Statements of Merica said...

That is a crazy story! You must have had some serious confirmation, because the mardee i know would never pass on a princess tower!

I love your home and i can't wait to come visit you in it! I am so excited for you. And you go and get your garden on.. you garden ho.. i mean hoe..

eryn said...

Yeah! I'm glad that story has a happy ending. Lyvi is running around in those Cadence's pj's (just washed). She took her own clothes off and put these on. She must be missing her. We are.

Andrea said...

How fun! Can't wait to see what you do to make it yours.

Edda Phillips said...

WOWIE!!! It's BEEEeeeee-U-tiful!! You are absolutely going to love love love having your own home - and garden!! :) I'm so excited for you!

RVLAH said...

What the? That house is amazing, I am so excited for you! And weird...we are having our 3rd girl in August! Congrats on your beautiful Layla, and let me know when your fourth child comes so I can get ready for mine. :-)

Ryan Chandler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie Chandler said...

Mardee!!!!! I got a little forward of your email asking for pre-school advice and followed your blog... YOU are my neighbor! Just one little house between you and me. This thrills me. You can borrow eggs for Sunday afternoon cookies, you can walk down and visit if you ever want to trade estrogen for testosterone, and we'll be friends! Wonderful!

And BTW, you are going to LOVE Bentonville. EVERYTHING about it! We are sooooo happy here and have found it to be a lovely life-- seriously so lovely. So incredibly happy that you are on your way...and the first thing you need to do when you pull into town is walk down to 3911 for a great big welcome hug.

This is great news. I love you already!

(and sorry about the above post, I was signed in as my 17 year old. ugh. oops- delete! :) )

Brandon and Erica said...

Mardee! thank you for your comment :) Glad to see you still poke around on our blog from time to time, since I have been a reader of yours ever since I delurked last year :)

Your home is AMAZING! Congratulations! And you know, ever since Kris Allen won American Idol...Arkansas has really been put on the map! :) That must be a great feeling to be a home-owner...we'll pray that Spencer stays out of trouble with the law for the next 60 days so that you can move in soon! :)

Hope you're doing well. Your family is adorable!