Cadence at "The Big Game", as she calls it--White Sox vs. Twins
We've been having talks about life and death lately, what with all the dandelions she brings home and the "pet ladybugs" we've gone through.
She finishes mulling and comes up with this: "But mom, if somebody is mean to me, I want to kill them."
I clumsily launch into a lecture about how we should respond if somebody is mean, trying to figure out how to teach her how wrong what she is saying is.
"But Mom--Prince Feel-Up (oh yes, that absolutely is what she calls him) killed Maleficent because she was being mean." Okay, Sleeping Beauty is out the door. Goodbye, Prince Feel-Up.
We ended the conversation with me telling her that we don't talk about killing and dying and stuff. With a kid like Cadence, that kind of finish is never enough. Hmmm...any suggestions?
And speaking of violence, might I share a moment with you?
As I mentioned, tonight we went downtown to share a special joy with the kids: chocolate cake shakes from Portillos. Oh, Mama. After ordering, Spencer and Cadence waited at the front for our order to come up and I had Cam and Layla in our sit and stand stroller and went to find a table. I picked a spot and tried to entertain Cam until Spencer came back. She does this thing in that stroller that scare the guts outta me. She arches her back as far as she can, her head pops out the other side and aims down toward the ground. She's so arched that I'm afraid that one of these days she is going to somehow slip out and land on her head, or break something and get trapped, or somehow strangle herself or something. It just seems so dangerous. Plus, the strap that keeps the carseat in it's place is cracked, and so not very trustworthy, and when Cam does this move, her feet push up against the seat where the carseat is and I get so scared that she is going to snap that puppy backwards. Anyway, it's scary. And when she does it, she's in crazy mode, so there's no way of stopping her except A) removing her, which is rewarding that dangerous behavior, or B) physically pushing her back down until her head is back where it should be and then getting in her face and saying very firmly, "NO! NO!". And I want her to be afraid. So I say it really firmly. Anyway, story's getting too long. While this is going on I notice that the lady at the table next to me is watching, disapprovingly.
I don't normally get embarrassed about my kids in public. Almost never. If people are going to judge me because my three-year-old is picking her nose or my 1-year-old is throwing a tantrum, or whatever, they can go ahead and keep their little idle minds busy by guessing what they would do. It's so much easier to parent in your mind anyway. I just do the best job I can being a parent and if that means that some lame-O is annoyed with the fact that I'm letting my child throw a fit as we leave the store, whatever, I'm stickin to my guns. So it never bugs me. And it didn't bug me this time, either.
Then Spencer got back to the table and I went to get a highchair for Campbell. I got back and heard the lady trying to quickly and quietly tell Spencer that I was "rough" with the child. I was angry. Very very very. This is not the same as being told by a stranger that you aren't changing their diaper right or that you really should back yourself and stroller onto an elevator so that you can get off easier or to "put a hat on that child!" This was a stranger claiming that I was abusing my child. I said nothing but she knew I had heard her and I think she saw my face as I realized what she was saying. I thought about starting a fight but she was much bigger than me. I had to talk myself down from throwing french fries in her hair. She quickly moved to another part of the restaurant.
Here's the thing: it didn't bother Spencer. Augh! I never get offended by strangers, but seriously--just the fact that somebody was watching that scene and decided that I was hurting my child... ooooh. I don't know. Spencer can't understand why it bothers me so. But I'm bothered. The rest of the time, whenever Spencer took an initiative with the kids, like picking up Campbell to walk to the car, or wiping Cadence's hands clean, in my mind it was because in a little way he suspected me of being too "rough". That's ridiculous, but this is how much it got to me. I mean, you can go ahead and say that she was just looking out for the welfare of the child. I know that's true. But seriously. I was not hurting that kid, I was protecting her. rrrrrrg. Okay, you get a prize if you read this whole long aside. Here's a cute picture of Layla to make up for it.

14 comments:
Sounds like you did everything right. That lady has probably never spent more than 10 minutes alone with a small child. She's dumb. I think you should have thrown those fries at her and taught her a lesson! Well maybe not, you did the right thing :)
Sarah's obsessed with things dying lately too, but I haven't crossed the murderous thoughts bridge! Uhh... have you tried a 'how would you feel if someone killed you for being mean?' conversation?
Good pics. Good stories. Sometimes I feel like my husband steps in before he thinks I will harm our children too!
And if it's any consolation, I think you have great self-control as a parent :).
Wow. I've never had anyone say anything to me, and I would never say anything to anyone else. That blows my mind that anyone thinks it's their business. I mean, if a mom is screaming at her child, I'll give her a dirty look. Or maybe say something really sarcastic "to my children" really loud, so she can hear. But I would never say anything TO an adult.
I just come home and blog about it. That's what a wuss I am.
Oh, I forgot about the killing thing. Don't worry about it. And DON'T make a big deal of it. Kids don't know what they're talking about, and they do figure it out, but not for a while. Death is a very difficult concept for little people. That is all very normal.
And if you ban Sleeping Beauty (might as well ban The Book of Mormon, too), I think I might have to call your husband and tell him you're being "rough" with the children again.
The killing thing. Perhaps she doesn't get it? Maybe you could show her something on tv when people are really sad about someone dying? Dumbo or Bambi come to mind. I think teaching empathy is the hardest and most important thing a parent can do, and having siblings (esp so close) is a great way to teach tolerance and love. So congratulate yourself on the gift you're giving them.
I love how all over the place this post is. It's totally how I feel after 3-5 months of having children I interrupt my sleep. Remember we're leading parallel lives (stroller and all).
Here's a rambly story: I was checking silas' ears the other day and he moved and it hurt him. Dx came in and asked me what happened and I wanted to cry rather than tell him what a horrible parent I was because of the accident. Thankfully he was kind about it. Even if you were rough with the kid you aren't creating permanent scars. She probably hit a nerve because we're all super sensitive to being overly physical with toddlers. I'm sure you're in the clear but just in case talk to Spencer about it so you feel better. He's great.
I should've just emailed.
Oh man Mardee, that first story with Cadence. I read it out loud to Chris and we both started laughing because this is something Chris would say to me if he were annoyed. He is a little dramatic! I can only imagine what he will teach our children.
I want to punch that lady. Or slap her. It's more insulting.
And I think Cadence's story is funny. It can be scary how real children make movies. We stopped watching certain shows because Hannah started to copy their behavior.
I have no advice for you. Good luck, but I'm confident she won't kill anyone.
i would have turned red and started shaking I would be so mad. I felt anger just reading this!
I'm so sorry. Spence defend your poor little wifey! That is what is so nice about men, they can be so chill. But if it was a man and he tried to hit on you, I bet that would have got spence's blood boiling!
sorry this comment is stupid. I have no idea what to do about the killing thing. Cache went through a siilar stage.lots of awkward parenting moments, blabbering. It seemed to eventually just get it... but I don't know.
love ya mardee
oh sweet mardee. i read the whole thing and was so captivated. your blog and others have been so good for me to prepare for parenting. i KNOW you are an amazing mother.
and i would feel EXACTLY like you - maybe worse - i take everything so personally. i better plan to be a momy blogger to get through these moments!
AHHHH! I want to Kill that lady at the restaurant! ha ha.. a little cadence humor..
Each kid is different and so are their parents.. There's no way you can judge family dynamics.
people who don't get that either haven't spent alot of time with small kids, or work all day, and feel to guilty to discipline them. she's just ignorant.
Although "Sternness" is probably the leading cause of juvenile suicide, I think there are more serious ways to abuse kids.. like neglect.. neglecting to teach them accountability and the concept of consequences. Those are the kids that struggle to function in society. In situations like the stroller ones, I don't know how to apply christ like behavior.. I'm totally stumped.. just pray that it won't happen anymore i guess, 'cause what do you do? I would have done the exact same thing.
You're a great mom Mard..
xo
Our second week in our new, super sophisticated ward, Avery made a comment in primary about killing Lauren in her sleep and dragging her off. I know, disturbing.. I'm just sayin' hand over your reputation NOW! Then it won't be so painful to watch your kids destroy it.
Cadence is growing up in a good family, and she'll even out and grow into her personality. Allyson Harward, Mignon, Damian.. these are all normally functioning members of society. I am kind of a prude when it comes to media.. I really think it ever so subtly has a real affect on our kids. I really love the strawberry shortcake movies.. anyway, I think you did the right thing by letting her know that that kind of talk is not acceptable and why, (avery isn't allowed to say certain death-related words) and then blogging about it so we can all have a good laugh.
Mardee you are so good. I think I would have gone nuts on that lady. Good for you for staying calm. I can't believe that lady said something! Maybe if you looked like white trash and like the kind of person that WOULD be rough with their kids I could understand...
The Cadence story is pretty funny even though i'm sure as a parent its not what you want to hear. The little boy I watch loves transformers and talks about killing "bad guys" every once and a while and pretends to shoot his little sister. When I say he shouldnt pretend to shoot people he tells me its just pretend and only bad people. I'm sure Cadence has no idea what she is saying but will understand eventually. That little girl is the funniest. I love Cadence stories!
i read it. i agree with Nicki...throw the french fries next time. Okay not really, but you are a good mother and Spencer knows that or he wouldn't keep procreating with you (Steve said "or he's a horn dog").
Okay, first of all I want to say I love your family picture, you guys are gorgeous and you hello, as if you never even pop one baby out...you look stunning as always.
Oh boy, what is wrong with that lady? she is crazy (wow, that rhymes). She should mind her own business, I bet you she doesn't have kids.
Oooh. That burns me up too. People are retarded I've decided--I mean the ones who think they're being helpful by telling strangers their business. Like your husband is going to take a stranger's side anyway. Please.
Post a Comment